Ever download a .rar file (for example) and – for some reason or another – in the middle of the download, you lose the connection, leaving unable to find the hidden, partially downloaded file, AND unable to download the same file (due to the file being there already)?
I found the answer and thought I would share.
1) Open Terminal
2) Copy & Paste the following:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE; killall Finder
**THERE WILL BE A FLASH**
(don’t be alarmed)
This allows all hidden files to be visible in Finder; allowing you the option to delete (dragging to Trash, if you’d like).
To make your files invisible again, copy & paste the following:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE; killall Finder
This will get you back to normal.
- Useful Terminal Commands & Tips For Mac OS X (maketecheasier.com)
- Three ways to fix OS X Lion’s Finder sidebar (zdnet.com)
- What’s new in Lion: the Finder and files (macworld.com)
- 10 Tips For Taming OS X Lion (makeuseof.com)